Monday, January 2, 2017

One Little Word - 2017

Note to Self:


These one little words mean more than you ever realized. 


A few years ago I came across a blog that gave me the idea of doing One Little Word (OLW). The idea is that instead of making "resolutions," you choose one word to focus on throughout the year. In the past I've done words such as "courage" and "commit." Last year I chose the word "believe."

Before I get into which word I've chosen this year, I want to do a little recap on 2016 and my OLW "believe."

If you would have asked me yesterday if I had learned a lot from my one little word for 2016, I would have probably said no. In fact, I know I would have said no. I was thinking about it as the year came to a close - thinking about the fact that I didn't focus on my OLW very much at all. I was actually quite upset about it for a minute, and promised myself that I would do better this year.

Then, in preparation for this post, I went back to my 2016 OLW blog post. Last January, I wrote this about my word "believe":


"I know that 2016 has great things in store, but I know that it will be difficult . . . but it will be worth it. This year I'm going to believe in myself and my potential. I'm going to believe in God and his plan for me. I'm going to believe in my family. I'm going to believe in my business and my education. I am so excited for this year!


"As I said, I'm sure I have only the smallest idea of what 'believe' will mean to me by the end of 2016 . . . but I do know that this is the word I am supposed to focus on this year. I know that it will get me through the hard times and over the hills that I will have to climb. " 

When I read this, moments ago, tears came to my eyes. "Believe" meant so much more to me during 2016 than I ever realized. I went through many trials that I know would not have been possible without believing in myself and God. I believed in my family and I'm in a much better place with each one of them than I was this time last year. I believed in my business and even though I've placed it on the back burner the last few months, it has remained a constant. 

Most of all I believed in my potential and my education. 

Many of you may not know, but I wasn't supposed to graduate with my bachelors this past summer. When I think of 2017, I still think of it as "the year I'll graduate," because that was always the plan. Around this time last year, however, I discovered a way that I could possibly graduate a year early and start my graduate program a year early as well. It was terrifying and difficult. There were days I wanted to quit (mostly the days that consisted of studying for the GRE and the days I had to ask for letters of recommendation). But I believed in myself. More than I think I ever have. I believed in God and the fact that his plan for me was different than my own. And I did it. I graduated Summa cum laude from WSU during Summer 2016 and started my masters program at USU, Fall 2016. That's not to broast - it's to show the difference that believing in yourself can truly make. 



I'm so thankful that I chose "believe" as my one little word for 2016! Even if I didn't realize it along the way, it had a lasting effect on me.  

NOW! Onto 2017! 

I almost didn't have to think about what word I would chose this year. I even debated choosing this word for 2016, but I'm glad I didn't. I needed 2016 to teach me what this word really meant and how I could apply it to my life this year. 

My One Little Word for 2017 is: 



I am so excited to focus on the word "adventure" throughout 2017! 

Adventure - noun: an unusual or exciting experience or activity; participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises. 

I said I needed 2016 to teach me what this word is really about - let me explain. 

When I first think of the word "adventure," I think of all of the trips we went on this last year... 





Trips to Jackson Hole, Seattle, Spokane, Provo, Logan, Los Angeles, Hogwarts, etc. 

But that's not all that this word means. When I really sit and think about the adventures we had during the last year, I think of the day to day things. The trips to the grocery store. Getting lost on our way somewhere. Exploring our neighborhood. Trying a new recipe or new restaurant. Dying my hair a new and exciting color. 

Adventures don't have to be grand trips or experiences. 

That's why I'm so excited to focus on this word for 2017. Not only am I excited for any big trips that we may go on, I'm also looking forward to finding and creating daily adventures to make this year the best year yet. 


Have you ever done One Little Word? Would you like to join me this year? I'd love to hear what your words are and your experiences with them! 

Feel free to check out my first OLW post to learn more about where I first found OLW and where it started for me! http://notetoselfcollection.blogspot.com/2013/01/one-little-word-may-it-be-great-year.html

No comments:

Post a Comment