Monday, December 10, 2012

Traditional vs. online schooling

Note to Self:

We are blessed with a life full of amazing technology, but it's best not to forget the fundamentals.


With all of the technology available to us today, we have many opportunities to take classes online. While online schooling has its advantages, I believe in a more traditional route. People today are slowly growing accustomed to technology and forgetting the fundamentals that our society was based on; such as human interaction, responsibility, and punctuality.

If you asked me whether I would rather talk with someone on the phone or text them, I would choose the latter. If you told me I had to get a message to someone in person, I may argue that it would be easier by email or some social networking site. Is it because I am incapable of interacting with people? No. It’s simply because I’ve been raised in a generation where I don’t have to. This is just one problem that I’m referring to.  

Though the change that comes with technology is inevitable, a traditional school setting gives children and young adults the opportunity to have some practice in human interaction before they are sent out into the “real world” of adulthood. School gives students a chance to meet new people and learn how to cooperate with them. I believe that these years in school and these lessons are crucial to a person’s progress in society.

Besides human interaction, traditional schooling offers lessons in responsibility and punctuality that are not required with the flexibility of online classes. Online it’s easy to be inefficient and careless, a traditional school setting requires students to be more accountable for their choices and actions.

I’m not saying online schooling is all bad. I’ve taken a class or two online, myself. I do believe, however, that traditional schooling is the way to go, especially since many other aspects of our lives are so technologically driven.



P.S. This post was for a scholarship (which it turns out I can't apply for anyway).  But, instead of taking down the post, I'm going to leave it up. I really do believe everything I said. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment