Monday, September 3, 2012

It's ok to miss

Note to Self: 

It's ok to miss. People, places, things... it's even ok to miss how things were. 



I miss all the time. Not 24/7 all the time, but often enough. I've moved from places. I've moved up through school. I've had friends move and move on. I've lost friendships and relationships. I've had family members die. And every once in a while... I really just MISS. But that's ok. No one expects me (or you) to be perfectly ok all the time. No one expects you to be able to move on and pretend like it never happened or like those people and times never existed. And if someone does expect that... well, I wish them luck. 

Missing something doesn't mean that you can't let go and you're "stuck in the past". Missing isn't bad. Missing shows that you recognize what you had. Missing shows that you've had good times, you've had good people in your life, and now you have good memories. It doesn't mean you won't have and make more... but just that you appreciate the ones you will always keep with you. 

People come and go. Time keeps ticking. Life goes on. Some people say we should "live in the moment" and "forget the past". Not me. The past is where I came from. It's where we all came from. It's made me who I am today and has shaped every part of my life. I've learned from things in my past and I continue to do so. I cherish every "mistake" I've ever made... and I don't live with regrets. I live with memories and lessons. 

Sometimes I have days like today. Nothing causes them... they just happen. I walk around, I work, I go to school, I socialize, and whatever else the day may bring. But the whole time, I'm thinking. I can picture things like they happened just yesterday. Playing made up games at the neighbors house, camping with an old friend, watching tv or playing blocks with my grandpas, my first day of school, my first kiss... anything and everything. And I miss it. I wish I could live those moments again. But at the end of a day like today, I look in the mirror. I am who I am because of everything that I've been through. Missing doesn't make me weak. It makes me stronger. Because when I look in that mirror and I see how far I've come and all the good times I've had... I also see how far I can go and all the good times to come.  

So it's OK to miss. Remember that. 



P.S. Not all of my notes will be so serious... pinkie-promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment